[Convertor] MyBB 1.8.x

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Re: [Convertor] MyBB 1.8.x

Post by bonelifer »

That seems to be a server issue as "MySQL server has gone away [2006]" literally means during the process it's lost connection to the DB server.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
GregariousJB

Post by GregariousJB »

There seems to be about a dozen posts on this topic about the same error message. Is this getting fixed or are we on our own?
Geoff_S

Post by Geoff_S »

I'm having some basic problems getting the converter working...

I have uploaded the converter files and installed them into the forum root directory (ie the one with index.php, config.php etc), retaining the full path to the converter files themselves (eg phpbb_root\install\converters). I then pointed my browser to {phpBB Root}/install/index.php.

The converter instructions say that I should then click on the Convert tab, but I don't get a convert tab - I only see the normal forum front page, and a warning (if I'm logged in as an admin) saying "Information - Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible.".

What am I doing wrong ???
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

do not go to install/index.php

just go to install

then you will see the install page, on that page is the convert tab.

if you have uploaded the convertor files properly, your convertor files should be here:

install/convertors/convert_mybb18.php
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Geoff_S

Post by Geoff_S »

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately it hasn't helped.

I have copied the install folder into phpbb root. See screenshot below showing directory listing for root path and also the root/install/convertors path
directory listing.png
directory listing.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 9089 times
I have tried browsing to:
- {phpBB Root}/install without being logged in, and get a "403 Forbidden You don't have permission to access /TheProjectCloned/install/ on this server." response.

- {phpBB Root}/install/index.php without being logged in, and get the regular forum home page without any tabs.
home page 1.png
- {phpBB Root}/install/index.php after logging in as a admin user, and get the regular forum home page without any tabs, and a message about deleting the install folder.
home page 2.png
I've tried relaxing guest forum permissions (giving them standard access) in case that was the cause, but it made no difference. Are there some other forum/security settings that I might need to change ?

phpBB version is 3.1.9, installed via an "Installatron" cpanel interface.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

then that is probably your problem. those one click installers often do not work correctly and it may not have the required files/scripts to run the convertors.
get the full package from here. upload all of the files to your server overwriting the ones that are there except for the config.php file.
or, better yet, delete the ones that are there except for the config.php file and upload all new files except for the config.php file.

then, try to access the install folder again.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Geoff_S

Post by Geoff_S »

Thanks Robert. I'll try that later today and see how it goes.

=======
Edit: ok, that (using an Installatron-based installation of phpbb) seems like it was the problem. Uploading and installing manually a complete phpbb 3.1 package to the server, allowed me to see the converter tab.

I'm getting an error about the avatars now:

Code: Select all

"Fatal installation error
functions_convert.php[433]
Note to developer: you must specify $converter['avatar_gallery_path'] to use import_avatar_gallery()."
I've seen other mention the problem, but not if/how they worked around it. I'll do some more digging....
Geoff_S

Post by Geoff_S »

I have managed to work around the error with the avatar gallery. It looks like the source forum (MyBB, also an Installatron instance) was missing the avatar gallery altogether. I commented out any lines of code in functions_mybb18.php that related to gallery type avatars, and the conversion worked fine. I did get a heap of the "Invalid in_addr value" errors that others have reported, but the main parts of the forum seems to come over ok. Thanks for the help.
Neo-DragonCP

Post by Neo-DragonCP »

Is there a way to just import users from MyBB to phpBB?
I don't want to carry over the forum, I'd rather start fresh on the forum but ideally I'd like to keep the users and bring them to phpBB with little changes.
ForumBebas

Post by ForumBebas »

Seem like the convertor out of date from the 1st post.
So, I would like to share it for you.

I am only add 1 line modification as state in this thread also,
- Line 1483

$colliding_names = array();
- And correcting typo from line 1502, postnub --> pustnum

$sql = 'SELECT username, uid, postnum
Download revised-file here:
functions_mybb18.php
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
I was able to convert MyBB 1.8.7 into phpBB 3.1.9 succesfully for my 2 million posts forum. It takes few hours until process was finished. I Understand that author limiting speed of 200/2000 data processing for high rate succesfull over shared-hosting. But, if you have gigs data. Converting through VPS or dedicated server is recommended. You can do some tweak for MySQL.

In my case, by using Centos 5+ above, there is sample configuration file my-huge.cnf for your SQL around there. Yeps, its 100% working. And just add/modified this line on my.cnf file..:

on etc/my.cnf

wait_timeout = 600
max_allowed_packet = 64M
then restart your SQL.

Everything was fine and forum live, succesfully converted after some setup the forum/group permission.
Thanks to Auhor for this amazing converter...

Good luck to all of you :)

Here my stats forum screenshot. Dont confuse for some stats, its not sync yet..
stats1.jpg
stats2.jpg
Do you need help for converting MyBB 1.8.x into phpBB 3.1.x ??
Call me, and We can negosiate it privately ..
8-)
DiegoPino

Post by DiegoPino »

prototech wrote:See the Convert How To at the top of this forum for instructions on how to use the convertor.

Note: the convertor does not transfer over permissions, so forums will not be visible after the convertor finishes running. See the section on permissions in the User Guide to learn how to easily set up permissions on your converted board.
Thank You, :ugeek:
Work Perfect... PhpBB 3.1.x Convert from MyBB 1.8.x

Here is the video if anyone needs to see the process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLyiXi2Xjw0

Anexo: Demo OnLine:
PhpBB 3.1.x Convert from MyBB 1.8.x
We11World [ Winning Eleven ] , Blog , PinoStudio1 , Archive Forums
zoldos
Name: zoldos Vex

Post by zoldos »

Worked, great! Just need to see about the permissions, as no forums "available". hehehe
The Syndicate Lounge ~ https://thesyndicatelounge.com | General Lounge & Mental Health Support
zoldos

Post by zoldos »

Okay, I am very confused/frustrated with the permissions! Can someone please explain how to get my forums to show up after the MyBB conversion?? I tried every which way I can to add/edit permissions, and I'm just lost.

Please help!! :oops:
The Syndicate Lounge ~ https://thesyndicatelounge.com | General Lounge & Mental Health Support
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

• "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
zoldos

Post by zoldos »

Thanks! I was able to figure it out tho. :) Love phpBB 3.1!

Return to “[3.1.x] Convertors”