[Request] Simple little game - great way to generate traffic

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
Jeremy V

[Request] Simple little game - great way to generate traffic

Post by Jeremy V »

I saw a suggestion like this on another forum, thought it could be a good idea for phpBB as well.

Suppose you have an small embedded image that randomly migrates around your boards.

You would initialize it by inserting it into some post.

When someone clicks on it, it would be deleted from that post, and moved to some other random post.

Maybe it could also tabulate the users who click on the image, and display the "score" somewhere.

I think it would be a great little way for people to have fun while reading through topics. Of course it would need things like only inserting itself into topics fairly current. I mean you wouldn't want it going into 2 month old topics that are dead, or possibly have the image only stay in one place for 24 hours, if nobody finds it, it moves to a new spot?

The way I see it, if people know about it and they can easily check the score or how many times each user has clicked on it, it would really get people who are bored to just hang out and read more topics. Plus it would be kinda fun IMO.

Also, admins could setup "games" for a set amount of time, and give the winner some sort of prize, etc. Lots of angles to take it, but it would be cool if something like this was done :) Let me know what you think or if this has been already discussed before.
NickMahon
Former Team Member

Post by NickMahon »

That is a great idea, one that I would most definitely use at Vereor's forums (I'm a huge fan of novelty traffic-enhancers ;)).
KiaX7

Post by KiaX7 »

Would be grat a Online Game... but multiplayer!...
AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

sweet idea!!

I'm gonna think about how to do this one... tricky... but fun!! :mrgreen:
Darkfire001

Cool

Post by Darkfire001 »

This would be a very cool game, Finally a request that is actually a very good but feasable one. And lots of nice features that could be intergrated with it in the future like support for the points mod and such.
Visit http://www.gamerpub.com for the Hottest Videogame Forum around and monthly videogame prizes.
Jeremy V

Post by Jeremy V »

Thanks for taking it seriously :D Right now I have the AI bot, and it is fun for me, but all my users are getting mad at the bot because most think it is a very mean and confusing real person, lol. So I need a different form of entertainment I think :)
Gonzo the Sane

Post by Gonzo the Sane »

That is a cool idea - Just one addition to who ever the geniouses developing it are - If possible could a record of who found it, time and what post it was in be kept and it accessable via another forum

i.e the forum could say be called "archive" (entirly optional)

and then it has one topic. Everyime someone clicks the image it creates a new post saying "Found by Gonzo the Sane on 01/10/2002 at 00:52:22 in http://phpbb.com/phpBB/topic_page - Image has now been relocated"

Obviously u would need the guest option so for instance "found by a guest .........."

and if possible it is not to appear in restricted forums (perhaps you could enter the i.d of forums it isn't allowed to appear in in a config file or something

$log_forum = 15
$restrict_forum[$i] = ?? <-array?

I've probably made this really hard now but I hope what I've said is usefull

--Gonzo
Darkfire001

Also

Post by Darkfire001 »

Maybe there is a short delay before it reappears? Setable by the admin? Also, Will it be a new post or just an edit of an older one?
Visit http://www.gamerpub.com for the Hottest Videogame Forum around and monthly videogame prizes.
Jeremy V

Post by Jeremy V »

I like the idea of it creating a new post announcing the winner :) Very cool. A timer would also be pretty nice to have, especially if selectable.
AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

Add to the list of features:

Once a user has 'clicked' it.... s/he cannot -view- it for another X clicks.
Jeremy V

Post by Jeremy V »

Nice, or even just something so they can't click it twice in a row. So if that one person was the only one on the forums at 4am with insomnia they couldn't sit there all night and rack their score up. They would be forced to wait until others are awake and joining in the game :)
Gonzo the Sane

Post by Gonzo the Sane »

Well I have been thinking of this for the last 10 minutes and have come up with some stuf fto think about

-Some sort of time restriction on where the image can appear. If I have read this correctly it edits itself into a new random post once clicked. As boards can have a lot of topics spread over a long time perhaps if it only edits itself into a post created in th elast 24hrs (or more depnding on how busy the board is. That way it wouldn't suddenly get lost in page 27 or something silly like that. Perhaps this could be altered by again a config variable file

eg

$time=date(h)
$time = $time - 24//hrs

-I don't think a limit on whether a person can click twice is a real problem as if the image can appear in any post then they have to tread through every post again so they should at least get a reward for viewing my entire forum again ;)

Perhaps a 5 minute rest period

Also what about on the index page somewhere saying "Last person to find picture was Gonzo the Sane"

This could be easy enough to do - Simply create a new table $prefix_winner with winner_id and winner_name as the two fields then by simply selecting the last entry you have that set up

just a few ideas, wow this is a really cool mod, its actually got me excited and thinking of solutions to it already :)

- Pitty my php isn't as good as my pseudo code ;)

-Gonzo
Jeremy V

Post by Jeremy V »

I know, I can schematically (sp?) come up with how the mod should be accomplished, but have very little coding experience :(

But yeah, I mentioned in the first post it should have a selectable limit for what posts to insert itself into. So a really busy board may choose to pick something within 12-24 hours, but boards with less activity may desire the image to be inserted into threads up to a week or so old, etc.

I'm all about options, I just don't like being limited by a mod, then having it not work right on my forum because the person who coded it made it optimal for their setup :)
Brandons
I am too lazy to register

Post by Brandons »

Really like this idea too... sounds great!
Jeremy V

Post by Jeremy V »

Has anyone thought about working on this one? Just curious :)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”